30 June 2014

Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's gradually robs its victims of their identities. While many remain happy and unbothered by their forgetfulness, they inevitably become different people, living largely in whatever part of the past they can remember.

Eventually, they have to be fed and taken to the bathroom - their existence ever constricting as they drift further and further from their former selves.



This is extremely sad. The memories of Mrs Loh are still very vivid in my mind. Throughout our last meeting, we held hands tightly. I tried my best to speak with her without shedding any tears. My heart was shattering inside. She just looked at me without any response. She was a pale shadow of her former vibrant self. After about 15 minutes of one-way conversation, Mrs Loh smiled at me. Her husband said she remembered me during those smiling moments. Her recognition touched my heart deeply and purely. Thank you! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home